Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Coffee Manifesto

Coffee, sweet elixir of life. I am an unabashed coffee snob. I drink it only for the taste, never for the energy hit. On average, I'll drink maybe 3 cups per week. Often on the same day if I really fall for somewhere's blend. If the coffee somewhere is disappointing, I will always take the tea option instead, being something of a tea fiend. (More of that to come in later posts.)




As a young'un I would wake up most mornings to the smell of fresh ground coffee that my dad would make. These days I drink a short mac so I can get that hint of milk without overdoing the lactose. I also love the new wanky extraction methods of the third wave, Tanzanian cold drip being my favourite. I like my coffee strong but smooth, with minimal bitterness. I prefer heavier chocolate tones to light fruity ones, so some of you won't agree with my opinions, but I'm going to let you guys in on a few of my favourite coffee places anyway. All are in Melbourne, and all are wonderful for completely different reasons.

Quick Note before I do: Siphon Coffee produces a really light, delicate blend that almost tastes more like tea. Great for separating and identifying the different flavour notes.

Cold drip produces a rich, thick coffee, served cold. Almost more like a liqueur. Be warned, both extractions are crazy potent when it comes to a caffeine hit.

1. St Ali and David Jones Sensory Lab

Both run by the same people. St Ali if you want food as well (they have Silly Yaks Gluten free and a delicious gluten free brownie!) David Jones for the coffee only. These are both an amazing experience. St Ali gives you the fully Melbourne hidden-laneway-reclaimed-warehouse-recycled-furniture experience. Indier-than-thou waiters, who are actually really lovely and helpful. David Jones goes for the coffee-as-science theme, with coffee served in beakers and waiters wearing lab coats. Both can seem really intimidating to begin with, but don't be afraid to ask questions. No-one is judging you for not knowing the difference between a Siphon Ethiopian Yirgacheffe or a Nicaraguan Cup of Excellence. These are where I discovered my favourite coffees, through many hours happily spent experimenting.

Try: A Latte, plain and simple. To see what normal coffee can be. Smooth flavour, richness, milk done to perfection. Everything from then on might be a little flat and dissapointing, but it's worth it for that perfect cup.

Siphon, for the joy of watching it bubble, and the experience of tasting coffee like you've never tasted it before. If you never thought coffee could be called a delicate drink, this will change your mind.

Cold Drip, for the richness of flavour. My favourite is Tanzanian Blackburn or Livingstone, but try a Kenyan bean if you want something a bit lighter and fruiter but still with amazing tasting notes





Synopsis: Pretentious, with damn good reason. Look past that, and it's wonderful.

No.2 Cafe Romeo

Tucked away in Balwyn, I'll admit a bias towards these guys. It was their coffee whose smell I would wake up to many mornings, so I might be a bit sentimental. But in all honesty, the coffee is excellent. Old-school Italian roasters, the blend is smooth and delicious. I've never had a bad coffee here. If you want unpretentious, but authentic, delicious coffee, look no further. 

Try: any standard coffee. Ask the barista's for the special '7 pour' machiatto, which they top up with seven pours of froth, giving an amazing texture without too much milk dilution.

Synopisis: Traditional, passionate. Don't bother going for food, the don't have any except a few biscuits. This is all about the coffee.

No.3 Eden Espresso

This used to be my local in malvern. 2 young, passionate guys run it. They only use organic fairtrade, and have recently brought in a second grinder for a rotating blend. Fantastically unpretentious and relaxing, they do a good assortment of delicious food (lots of gluten free options) to compliment the coffee. My favourite place to go for a relaxing cup that I know I can rely on. Much stronger and richer than a lot of suburban cafes, but still smooth and delicious. Go twice, and I guarantee they'll remember your elixir of choice.

Try: your usual, and notice the difference in quality.

Synopsis: extremely laid back coupled with excellent quality

Hounourable mentions:

Pretty much anywhere serving up Five Senses, St Ali or Syndacate coffee. More specifically:
Batch espresso, Carlisle - simple, smooth, delicious

Collective, Camberwell - bringing up the coffee standard of an entire suburb

Monk Bodhi Dharma, Carlisle - bringing siphon etc to the suburbs, would get an proper write up if the staff were more knowledgeable and talkative.

Journal cafe, CBD - old school lever machine, consistent delicious in an awesome atmosphere.

Anyone have other suggestions?


1 comment: